Recently.. (no.. not recently.. in January) I attended a really interesting talk hosted by the Boston Juventutum group. The talk was given by Kyle Clement, who is part of the Pope Leo XIII Institute, which supports exorcists throughout the United States under the aegis of the USCCB. The talk was on “Traditional Liturgy and Liberation from the Demonic“, though he did go off a little bit and talked first about the demonic, which was SO very interesting!
I hope to do his speech justice, but give me credit, it was a long time ago, and my notes are a bit crazy…
The Importance of Latin
- The reason why Latin is so much more powerful to dispel evil spirits is because; on the Cross, it was written “Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews” in three languages. Of all the three, LATIN is the only one that is still used! When hearing LATIN, it brings the demons right back to the Crucifixion, and therefore their detriment; for that was when Christ defeated sin and opened the gates of heaven, for He is our only Salvation!
- Also, LATIN means exactly what it means. In the English language for example, words change their meaning like the wind, but Latin always remains the same.
- A note; we should return to a Latin Persona as well as in our Religion. We must mean what we say and say what we mean. Rather than using Sarcasm, use Sincerity!
- A Sacrament in Latin has no little “holes” for “squatters rights” for the demons. Because of the language used, the reverence and also the details!
- Latin Baptism; has everything in the Latin language, giving it far more power to it, and it gives more grace to us. Latin Baptisms also have an exorcism before the child is even inside the Church itself! After the Exorcism, then they resume the Baptism, inside the Church.
- Latin Marriage; the engaged traditionally used to go to Confession the night before and try their hardest to keep from sin, as to marry in a state of Grace, and as sinless as possible, and to have a most Pure Union. The bridesmaid and groomsmen were actually supposed to guard the purity of the couple!
- Latin “Anointing of the Sick AKA Extreme Unction”; it gives the dying a MUCH LARGER chance; and makes the transition from earth to Heaven so much smoother!
Demonic Forces – The Fallen Angels
A huge part of an exorcism is finding out exactly from which choir of angels the demon is from, and what their duty was…
When Lucifer fell, so did 1/3 of all the angels in heaven, this means 1/3 of each of the choirs of angels. There are nine altogether!
Each choir of angel has a duty, this duty is like part of his being; it is what he was created for. (For example; our guardian angels were created with the sole duty of taking care of us. There are even angels whose duty were to adore the Child Jesus at His birth!) And for the angel that shirked their duty for eternity, it is most grievous to them; the reminder that they are not doing their duty! And so, the fallen angels from, say the group of angels bound to worship the Baby Jesus, is most tormented by the fact that he is NOT doing that specific duty!
Now, back to the choirs. To fully understand each choir and their duties, we must take a look at this figure of the Blessed Trinity.
As you can see; GOD is three Persons in One. The Father (Pater) is God. The Son (Fili) is God. The Holy Spirit (Spiritu) is God. But Pater is not (non) the Spirit, nor is he Fili. Spiritu est non Pater / Fili, and so on! Makes sense? I hope so, I can’t really explain it any better. (Ha! Sorry!)
We can add the Blessed Virgin Mary to this figure as well. As she is the SPOUSE of the Spiritu, the Mother of the Fili and the Daughter of Pater.
Now, the Nine Choirs of Angels are as follows:
Seraphim; (Isiah 6;1-3) “And they cried one to another, and said: Holy, holy, holy, the Lord God of hosts, all the earth is full of his glory.”
These continually praise and worship GOD. Their duty is to Him and Him alone. (This group of Angels is from which Lucifer had fallen!) Therefore the angels that had fallen from this group attack God with all their might. How can they “attack” Him? Being the Creator, you can take “Order, Authority and Procreation” as the three things that are “closest” so to speak (pardon my crude explanation!) And so, the Fallen Seraphim then put all their attack on these three. Completely rebelling against God. Mr. Clement said that Possession of the Seraphim is VERY rare, unless they are called upon/formed a pact with. He said these focus mainly on destroying/demolishing Order in Creation, Society and High Authority, as well as the Procreative.
(From website; These are the highest order or choir of angels. They are the angels who are attendants or guardians before God’s throne. They praise God, calling, “Holy Holy Holy is the Lord of Hosts”. the only Bible reference is Isaiah 6:1-7. One of them touched Isaiah’s lips with a live coal from the altar, cleansing him from sin. Seraphim have six wings, two cover their faces, two cover their feet, and two are for flying.)
The Cherubim (Ezekiel Chapter 1) are next; these are said to have four faces. While never taking their gaze off of God, they also see us.
(From website; Cherubim rank after the seraphim and are the second highest in the nine hierarchies or choirs of angels. The Old Testament does not reveal any evidence that the Jews considered them as intercessors or helpers of God. They were closely linked in God’s glory. They are manlike in appearance and double-winged and were guardians of God’s glory. They symbolized then, God’s power and mobility. In the New Testament, they are alluded to as celestial attendants in the Apocalypse (Rv 4-6). Catholic tradition describes them as angels who have an intimate knowledge of God and continually praise Him.)
Thrones are the third. These, Mr. Clement said, are like the Communion rail between us and the Sanctuary where God is, truly present in the Tabernacle! (Isn’t that beautiful!?)
(From website; “Thrones are the Angels of pure Humility, Peace and Submisssion. They reside in the area of the cosmos where material form begins to take shape. The lower Choir of Angels need the Thrones to access God.”)
The next group are duty-bound to the Son/Fili. The closest way to attack Christ? Is His Church! The Catholic Church. For as anything that has to do with attacking the Church of Christ, they are there. This includes;
- All forms of false religions.
- The Occult. (Ouija Boards, Fortune Telling, etc)
- The Illuminati
- Anything Anti-Christ
- New Age (Yoga, etc)
- and so on..
From this group are also the demons that come the most possession!
The three choirs of angels in this group are Dominions, Powers and Virtues.
Dominions (From website; Dominions are Angels of Leadership. They regulate the duties of the angels, making known the commands of God.)
Powers (From website; Virtues are known as the Spirits of Motion and control the elements. They are sometimes referred to as “the shining ones.” They govern all nature. They have control over seasons, stars, moon; even the sun is subject to their command. They are also in charge of miracles and provide courage, grace, and valor.)
Virtues (from website: Powers are Warrior Angels against evil defending the cosmos and humans. They are known as potentates. They fight against evil spirits who attempt to wreak chaos through human beings. The chief is said to be either Samael or Camael, both angels of darkness.)
The next group serve the Spirit-Spiritu. Those in this group are, Principalities, Archangels and Angels.
These are the closest to us. (Our Guardian angels are part of the last group; “angels”)
Principalities; In the New Testament Principalities refers to one type of spiritual (metaphysical) being which are now quite hostile to God and human beings. (Rom 8:38; 1 Cor 15:24; Eph 1:21; 3:10; 6:12; Col 1:16; 2:10, 15) Along with the principalities are the powers (Rom 8:38; 1 Cor 15:24; Eph 1:21; 1 Pt 3:22; 2 Thes 1:7); and cosmological powers (1 Cor 15:24; Eph 1:21; 3:10; Col 2:15);Dominions (Eph 1:21; Col 1:16) and thrones (Col1:16). The clarity of the New Testament witness helps see that these beings were created through Christ and for Him (Col 1:16). Given their hostility to God and humans due to sin, Christ’s ultimate rule over them (ibid) expresses the reign of the Lord over all in the cosmos. This is the Lordship of Christ, which reveals God’s tremendous salvation in conquering sin and death at the cross, and now takes place in the Church. (Eph 3:10)
Archangels; Archangels are generally taken to mean “chief or leading angel” ( Jude 9; 1 Thes 4:16), they are the most frequently mentioned throughout the Bible. They may be of this or other hierarchies as St. Michael Archangel, who is a princely Seraph. The Archangels have a unique role as God’s messenger to the people at critical times in history and salvation (Tb 12:6, 15; Jn 5:4; Rv 12:7-9) as in The Annunciation and Apocalypse. A feast day celebrating the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael is celebrated throughout the Church Sep 29. A special part of the Byzantine Liturgy invokes the “Cherubic Hymn” which celebrates these archangels and the guardian angels particularly.
Of special significance is St. Michael as he has been invoked as patron and protector by the Church from the time of the Apostles. The Eastern Rite and many others place him over all the angels, as Prince of the Seraphim. He is described as the “chief of princes” and as the leader of the forces of heaven in their triumph over Satan and his followers. The angel Gabriel first appeared in the Old Testament in the prophesies of Daniel, he announced the prophecy of 70 weeks (Dn 9:21-27). He appeared to Zechariah to announce the birth of St. John the Baptist (Lk 1:11). It was also Gabriel which proclaimed the Annunciation of Mary to be the mother of our Lord and Saviour. (Lk 1:26) The angel Raphael first appeared in the book of Tobit (Tobias)Tb 3:25, 5:5-28, 6-12). He announces “I am the Angel Raphael, one of the seven who stand before the throne of God.” (Tb 12:15)
Angels; These angels are closest to the material world and human begins. They deliver the prayers to God and God’s answers and other messages to humans. Angels have the capacity to access any and all other Angels at any time. They are the most caring and social to assist those who ask for help.
Now, each and every angel is only given the intellect/information for exactly what it’s duty is. So, those in the “Thrones” have much more knowledge of things than the groups below, and so on. And they are completely fine with that, they are content. But the Demons are the opposite; they are constantly seeking more information, as they are never satisfied.
- Demons know people/humanity. They have been watching ever since Adam & Eve and know our faults and weaknesses inside and out. They know exactly how to push our buttons and get us to sin. But there is one thing that they are NEVER prepared for! PRAYER! When the person prays and avoids the temptation gives to him by the demon; it stuns the demon.
- MERIT takes the suffering and temptation that the demon gives and turns it into a WEAPON against him!
- We must mold our life around prayer rather than mold prayer around our life!
- The difference between BAD and EVIL are; Something Evil is purposely going against authority/rules. (Example; NON SERVIAM! I WILL NOT SERVE!). Something Bad is like Laziness for example.
- Evil done inside a building/house such as an abortion, or a ouija board is played with can possess the house. It calls upon devils. Therefore, evil done in our BODIES is the same principle.
- HUMILITY is knowing exactly what you are. Not ‘self-esteem” but “Self doubt” is what we should have. We are dirt. (Note, St. Josemaria Escriva calls us “Garbage cans.” He said, we can get as shiney as we can, but we are still garbage cans.)
- Put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6;11 ” Put you on the armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the deceits of the devil.”). Against Hexes, Spells, etc cannot penetrate it unless a spot is open! WE must become small enough to hide in the armor… this smallness can be called HUMILITY!
- A Father has a guardian angel yes, but he also has a marriage Angel from Matrimony, a “Dad Angel” when he becomes a Father, and so on. Bishops for example have many, many sorts of angels to help and guide him!
- When it comes to Apologetics, the simpler the better. It is easier to understand; apologetics is not for everyone!
- DEVOTION is taking the time for something. Piety without Devotion is impossible, and Devotion without Piety is also impossible.
- The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Queen of ALL ANGELS. Therefore she is also the Queen of the Fallen as well! They must do her every bidding!
I believe that is all I can remember of this talk! I hope it helps ya’ll and I hope it makes sense…
You can also go listen to another talk by Mr. Clement here!
Another talk on the Importance of Latin.
Until Next time, God bless & keep it trad!